Getting Kids Involved in the Fight Against Child Hunger

This is a partnered post with The Motherhood and ConAgra. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.

My children live a very comfortable life. Thankfully we are in a position where they don’t want for anything that they need.Unfortunately, that is not the case for every family living in America today.

Did you know that there are 16 million children who are silently suffering from hunger. That is an insanely large number, but do you realize that it’s the population of Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia and Chicago combined? Just thinking about the children that have to experience hunger brings tears to my eyes and makes my heart ache.

I see my comfortable life and realize things could be much worse. What I also see when I look at my comfortable life is I need to be more diligent in reaching out to my community and offering assistance. I need to be more diligent in teaching my children about this silent epidemic and showing them how they can help and hopefully change the future.

I like that my children see the world as an innocent place. I want them to be able to be young for as long as possible without dealing with “adult” issues. I keep them sheltered because I love that they see the world as such a wonderful place to live (as it should be).

Getting Kids Involved in the Fight Against Child Hunger

But, I figured it was time to talk to them about community service, how some families don’t have the means to provide for themselves, and that conversation led in to how they want to help these families. We discussed ways they wanted to help and I was excited to hear them say they wanted to buy groceries for these families and that they wanted to give up some of their own money to help these families.

As we were discussing other ways they can help, the conversation turned to why these families don’t have money. I explained that every situation was different and that it could be many different factors. My oldest son, who is very intuitive (and sometimes too smart for his own good), said that since he was going to be an architect when he gets older, that he was going to build places within these communities where families can go to learn how to make money.

As we continued talking, I enjoyed seeing their little minds work to find a way they could help.

During our most recent shopping trip, we were armed with a $50 gift card and the goal of providing food for families in need right in our community. While we were shopping, we definitely had the children of these families in mind and chose products we knew they would love. Since I’ve worked at the food pantry I know they hand out a lot of the basics (rice, beans, etc.), so I wanted to throw in some extra special treats for the families to enjoy.Getting Kids Involved in the Fight Against Child Hunger

I also wanted to stretch the $50 gift card as far as possible and I think we did a good job of getting the best bang for our buck while still buying things that could be considered a treat. Just like I do at home, I made sure there was a good balance so that not everything I bought was something sweet.

We loaded up everything in to the car and drove to the nearest Food Bank. The boys had never been and had no idea of what to expect. But I loved their excitement in wanting to help out, if even in just a small way.

Getting Kids Involved in the Fight Against Child Hunger

Getting Kids Involved in the Fight Against Child Hunger

The boys learned about hunger and the ways they can help out. We went shopping and bought food specially for the food bank. #FightHungerTogether #ad

A photo posted by Crystal Reagan (@simplybeingmommy) on

Getting Kids Involved in the Fight Against Child Hunger

“The tiniest ripples makes the biggest waves.”

[embedded content]

Wow, such wise words from a child. It’s time we start making some ripples, y’all.

I love that children have these wonderful ideas and that they don’t discount them because it seems impossible. In their minds all it takes is an idea. We need to support their ideas and help bring them to life.

Companies like ConAgra make it easy to help and get involved in the fight against hunger in the United States. I’ve been a huge supporter of the Child Hunger Ends Here program for the last few years and I invite you to be a supporter as well. I can’t think of a better cause to support than hungry children within our own communities.

When you are grocery shopping, purchase ConAgra products with a red pushpin and enter the codes once you get home to have a meal donated. Head on over to the Child Hunger Ends Here website and invite a Facebook friend to get involved and once you do a meal will be donated. There are also other resources and ways for getting kids involved in the fight against child hunger available by visiting the website.

If you haven’t already, open up the lines of communication with your children about child hunger. It was an eye-opening experience for me and I was thoroughly impressed by the way my children handled it. Through our conversations, I see many community service projects in our future.

Getting Kids Involved in the Fight Against Child Hunger

Latest posts by Crystal (see all)

38 thoughts on “Getting Kids Involved in the Fight Against Child Hunger”

I just shared this. I often worry about all the hungry kids in America. Right now I am semi retired and can not do too much. What I do do is every time I go food shopping and I see those pull offs where you can donate right at the register–I do it–even my $1.00 helps and so will yours. No child should go to bed or to school hungry.

2. Alicia says:

That is a really good value and lesson to teach your kids, so they know that not all kids have it as good as others might have it.

3. LyndaS says:

It is so easy to not notice the needs of others. I volunteer at a community free (health) clinic and you would never know that some of the patients did not have insurance just by looking at them. I am sure the same applies to those that are hungry. I am going to start looking for the red pushpins and enter the codes. You never know when one little thing you do can make a big difference in someone else’s life.

4. Shop with Me Mama (Kim) says:

We did this too and my kids had never been more happy to help out. It was so good for them to do this. We decided to try and do it at least once a month!

5. Natalie Z says:

That is so great! As long as I teach my kids to be good people, I feel like I have succeeded as a mom. Good for you teaching that lesson to your kids!

It’s always great to teach your kids to help others. Child hunger is such an issue and so many people don’t even know it.

7. Penelope says:

What a wonderful experience to share with your children. It is so important for them to see that they can make a difference in the world.

8. Jeanine says:

Such a great lesson for children to learn. My kids often help me pack up to deliver to our local food bank, and the joy it brings them to know we are helping even a little is amazing!

What a great experience for children and adults alike. It is always good to humble ourselves and do what we can for the less fortunate.

10. Debra says:

I love that you got your children involved. We’ve been taking our two kids to our local food pantry since they could walk, we help donate and even sort food. It’s important they learn how to give back and help those less fortunate then themselves.

I think it is great that your kids helped. We help out with several food drives every year through my work.

12. Sara P. (@SensiblySara) says:

16 million is such a staggering and heartbreaking number, isn’t it? We donate to a program called Blessings in a Backpack which ensures kids that need it (in our elementary school) will have at least breakfast and lunch all weekend.

13. Chrystal @ YUM eating says:

We have a food bank at a church in town. We donate when we can. Having been a family who has had to fight for a hot meal and myself coming from a time when my mother and I had to rely on family to help us sometimes – I know the meaning of huger and I dont wish it on anyone. So, I help whenever I can.

14. Amanda says:

Thanks for bringing awareness. This seems like a problem that we should be able to fix!

I will never understand how in a country as blessed as ours, that hunger is still an issue. We give to our community center’s food drive every quarter, so I hope that’s making a little impact in our community.

16. Tracy @ Ascending Butterfly says:

Love to support brands that give back, glad to hear Con Agra is doing something to help the fight against child hunger!

17. Heather says:

I’ve entered those codes in for the endchildhunger campaign. It’s one of the easiest things a person can do. But you’ve inspired me to find my own local food bank and make some donations. Love to see parents teaching kids the importance of giving back like this.

18. Demetra @SweetSavant says:

Its wonderful that you are teaching your kids to help others at an early age, its so important. We donate to our local food bank frequently.

19. Dawn says:

It always good to give back when you can. Helping others is something everyone should partake in.

20. Stacey- Travel Blogger says:

It’s good to teach children the importance of giving back. It good for them to learn these things early on in life .

21. Alison says:

Fighting childhood hunger is definitely a cause I think anyone can get behind! I love that the kids got involved – its great to let them learn that service before self is a valued trait!

22. Amanda says:

I love that you got your kids involved and went to the food bank with them. This is a great cause!

23. Marina @ Mommy Snippets says:

I think its awesome to have kids involved in projects like this. Not only does it teach them to be helpful but also the importance of not being wasteful. Some don’t have it that well.

24. Amanda says:

I love that you are getting your kids involved and teaching them such valuable lessons! Sharing this with my friends now!

25. Jeannette says:

I love that you are getting your kids involved and this is such a great cause! If we all did our part, child hunger could be a thing of the past!

26. vanessa: briteandbubbly says:

It’s so important to teach kids to help other kids in need. I loved doing this campaign.

27. Debra says:

I love that you got your kids involved! Such a good example!

28. Kerrie says:

I love that you’re teaching the kids to care about others and get involved in helping their community.

29. [email protected] says:

I think it is important to get kids involved. Helps them appreciate what they have.

30. Holly @ Woman Tribune says:

I love that you have made your kids aware that there are kids just them out there who are hungry. It makes kids want to help others, which is so important and something that will stay with them throughout their lives in order to help make the world a better place for everyone.

31. Christie says:

I love seeing big food companies like Con Agra get involved with such a big issue. Child hunger needs to end, so glad that Con Agra is a part of the solution

32. Grace Hodgin says:

No matter if a person is poor, middle income or rich, Good food makes a difference. I always pick up fun food along with nutritious food when I’m shopping to donate. It really does make a difference in so many aspects of life when your not hungry and children do so much better in academics when not bothered by an empty stomach.

33. Melanie S. says:

My children are very lucky, and I do try to make them aware that not everyone has it as easy as they do. I just hope I’m getting through to them.

34. Donna says:

It’s such a shame that there are kids in our country in this day and time that are hungry. It breaks my heart to think of a child going to bed hungry. Kudos to Child Hunger and ConAgra Foods for doing something about it! And it is so easy for all of us to help by shopping for foods we need anyway!

35. Lena says:

The statistics are horrible and I am happy you found a way to help.

36. valerie g says:

great way to help!!! so many don’t get fed like they should

37. Stefani Tolson says:

I LOVE this campaign and it is so sad thinking about children going hungry. I love the idea of getting the kids involved too!

38. Shannon Gurnee says:

ConAgra is such an awesome company! I love that they Fight Child Hunger! What a great campaign with great products.