What is a Wisdom Panel Canine DNA Test?

This is a partnered post with Mars Veterinary Wisdom Panel 3.0. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.

Early last year my family and I adopted a little 4-month old black lab puppy from a friend of ours. We had recently lost our beloved little dachshund and adopting another pet just seemed right for our family. Oakley has been absolutely perfect for our family. But having a large dog in the house compared to our small little dachshund, has proven to have more challenges than we originally planned for.

But I wouldn’t trade this little furball for anything. He’s such a loyal companion and quite possibly the smartest dog I’ve ever met.

Learn more about your dog through a Wisdom Panel Canine DNA Test.

What I find fascinating is that there is now DNA testing for dogs. While I think that Oakley is a pure bred black lab, it’s possible that he isn’t. By having a Wisdom Panel Canine DNA test, I can find reliable breed ancestry to insure that I understand the makeup of my dog to be a better pet parent for him.

Learn more about your dog through a Wisdom Panel Canine DNA Test.

What is Wisdom Panel Canine DNA Test?

To be completely honest, before learning about the Widsom Panel Canine DNA Test, I didn’t know it was possible to learn more about your dog through DNA testing. But you can and you should, if you want to know more about your four-legged family member.

From Mars Veterinary, Wisdom Panel(R) 3.0 is the next evolution of the canine DNA test. It also features the potentially life-saving Multi–Drug Resistance 1 (MDR1) genetic mutation screening.

Learn more about your dog through a Wisdom Panel Canine DNA Test.

How Does Wisdom Panel Canine DNA Test Work?

Much like a human DNA test, you will need to collect DNA from your dog. After receiving the kit in the mail or purchasing at a local pet fair, you’ll have all the tools you need to collect your dogs DNA.

Using the two swabs included in the kit, you can easily collect your dog’s DNA by sweeping across the inside of your dog’s cheek. The box is then used as the means in which to send it back to the lab for analysis.

Learn more about your dog through a Wisdom Panel Canine DNA Test.

What’s Next?

When the lab receives the samples they will undergo processing to remove the DNA from your dog’s cells. The cells are then examined for markers. Those markers will be used as a computer evaluates them using a proprietary algorithm designed to pick up possible pedigree trees in the last three generations.

That information is used to create a pedigree that can include just one tree or up to eight, depending on the dog’s genetic makeup. The algorithm uses the information from the extensive Wisdom Panel breed database, which features over 10,000 samples, to fill out the potential pedigrees. From there scores are given based on the breeds matched to your dog’s data. The one with the best score is selected and provided to the owner.

What Insights Does Genetic Testing Offer?

With so many mixed-breed dog owners in the U.S., knowing the true breeds of your dog can help you be a better pet parent. Having access to reliable breed ancestry can provide important information about nutrition, training, and overall health of your pet.

While I’m pretty certain that Oakley is 100% lab, I won’t know for sure until I get the results back from his DNA testing. I expected to have received the information by now, but it’s only been 18 days, so not the full 3 weeks noted on the website. Patience is not my strong suit, but I’m anxiously awaiting his results.

Learn more about your dog through a Wisdom Panel Canine DNA Test.

You can learn more about Wisdom Panel 3.0 on their website or visit them in Austin at the Amazing Pet Expo, August 1-2, 2015. They will also be in Franklin, Tennessee in October and in Los Angeles, California in December. For all events that allow dogs to attend, consumers can swab onsite at the event for a discounted price of $39.99. For consumers wanting to take a kit home, the are available for the discounted price of $49.99 (regularly $84.99).

Follow Wisdom Panel 3.0

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

What do you think about DNA testing for your dog? Would you do it?

7/30/15 Update: We did receive Oakley’s results back and as we thought, he is pure bred Labrador Retriever. Even better news is he does not have the MDR1 mutation!

Learn more about your dog through Wisdom Panel Canine DNA Testing.

38 thoughts on “What is a Wisdom Panel Canine DNA Test?”

How cool. I had never heard of DNA testing for dogs before I read your post.

This is really interesting! I have a pure bred dachshund, but I’ve seen some dogs that you’d need a DNA test to figure out what they had in them.

3. Kelly Hutchinson says:

I have not heard of DNA testing for dogs, but it is super smart. This is great for people who rescue or adopt their animals.

4. Claudia Krusch says:

How cool! I had never heard of DNA testing for dogs before I read it in here!

In the past I had 3 different dogs all mixed breeds. It would have been interesting to see what specific breeds were in their backgrounds! It may help current dog owners to find out if say hip dysplasia is in their dogs genes and take care of it from the very beginning.

This is such a convenient service. It’s really cool that they can get the DNA tests back to you so quickly!

7. Felicia says:

Wow! What will they think of next?! This is pretty cool to have all of this information on your dog.

First off, Oakley is precious! We adopted our Harvey at 8 weeks old after his mom was found roaming the streets pregnant so we have no idea what his true breed mix is. While I would be curious to know, I would be more anxious to make sure he did not have the genetic mutation mentioned.

9. Wow! This was really interesting! I’ve never heard of DNA testing a dog before–Neat!

10. Toni | Boulder Locavore says:

I didn’t realize they had this kind of technology now. How neat!

11. Sara P. (@SensiblySara) says:

Some friends just adopted a puppy and they don’t know a thing about him. He was a stray and the vet assumes he is 2 based on his teeth. I bet the would love to know more about him with this test!

12. Debbie Denny says:

It is interesting. Don;t think I would do it. Might be helpful to some tho.

13. Little Miss Kate says:

Oh how interesting, especially if you are thinking of breeding a dog. thanks for sharing this information!

14. Val says:

I’m not sure that I would do this for every dog, but it certainly would be interesting for a dog you rescue. It is pretty neat!

15. Sabrina says:

Aww this makes me wish I could’ve tested our dog we had when I was a kid. There was no identifiable breed to him!

16. Debra says:

So interesting! I didn’t know you could do this!

17. Michele B says:

I have no idea that there was DNA testing for dogs!! I love this idea to help your dog being healthy and the best health possible.

18. Avry says:

When we bought our dog they said she was a pure bred Chihuahua but I’ve always doubted that. I would be curious to try this out to see if it was true or not.

19. Christie says:

This is super fascinating for pet owners! I can see how folks would really love to know exactly the breeds!

20. Amber Edwards says:

I had no idea you could test a dogs DNA! That would be helpful for us! We adopted our dog Odin, but he was a rescue dog, so we really don’t know what he is. we know chocolate lab and pit bull but he could have other breeds too. It would help us to know more about his health if we knew more about his DNA

21. Ellen Christian (@ellenblogs) says:

Wow I had no idea this was available. Good to know!

22. Jacqui Odell says:

You know I have never thought about it, but our dog was a rescue so honestly we don’t know much about her. It might be good to do to find out more about her and could even help her in the long run.

23. Ora Lee Gurr says:

DNA testing to find out more about furbabies is a good idea, as you suggested. Dogs have different needs based on their heritage. I can see, though, that your new pup has a huge dose of Labrador retriever, if not a hundred percent lab. What a sweetie!

I think I would do this if I had a mutt, just to find out exactly what breed. However, I have to pure bred boxers and a pure bred pug, so I don’t think this test would be right for us. Maybe in the future though!

25. Miranda @ The Bright Side of Reality says:

We wouldn’t need this for our three dogs but my mom’s dogs could for sure use this. It would be interesting to see what her sweet mutt dogs are a mix of. They’ve got wonderful personalities so a DNA test would be interesting and definitely helpful in caring for them.

26. Allison says:

This is pretty cool! Growing up we always had dogs that were mixed breeds, so being able to track exactly which breeds they were mixed of would have been pretty great. I’ve always said that mixed breeds were the best!

27. Tracey says:

This is so interesting! I’ve never heard of this before. What a cool test.

28. Chrystal | YUM eating says:

Oh cool. I have a Pug / Chihuahua mix and would love to do a DNA test on her. I met her parents and her humans when she was 10 weeks old, but dont know much. My boxer is older and she was a rescue. Someone left her to die basically. I think it would be neat to do a test on her as well.

29. chasing Joy says:

I lost my dog last year. But I would have definitely done this. I got him from a lady who could not take care of him anymore. He had lived with several of her family members before finding his forever home with me. They told me he was a pure bread shitzu but they had now papers on him. I would have loved to do this DNA test on him.

30. Shell Feis says:

Okay I need one of these for my dog! She’s 7 so I know her pretty well by now, but I want confirmation on what breed she is. She’s definitely part black lab {they’re the best, aren’t they?!} but also some sort of hound and while we THINK we know, we could be totally off. I’d love to know now that she’s entering her senior years so I know what health issues to watch for!

31. Kiwi says:

DNA testing for dogs! I had no idea something like this was on the market this is cool!

My Sister was just talking about having this done for her two dogs. It will be so interesting to see what breeds are mixed in.

33. Kristin says:

1. Dying over the fur baby in glasses pic. 2. That is too cool that they can do that!

34. Megan @ C'mon Get Crafty says:

That’s actually a really cool concept. When we got our boy, the vet said he looked like pure pit bull, but we’ve never known for sure. Now we could find out!

35. Marina says:

How neat is this?!?! I’ve never heard of anything like this before. My pet owner friends would love it.

36. Debbie L. says:

I had never heard of this before – I think it is a great idea if you are uncertain if your dog is a pure bred. Knowing the characteristics of a breed is very important to be a good pet owner.

37. Latoicha says:

I never knew there was DNA testing for dogs. Fantastic.

38. Katie Reed says:

Wow, I didn’t know you can get a DNA test for your dog. I have a dog that is supposed to be a pure bred pit bull but I think she is mixed with a lab. This would be perfect to know the truth.