Staying on Track the Simple Way

This is a partnered post. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.

My journey to wellness started about three months ago and it’s been pretty interesting to say the least. Some days are flat out difficult while other days are pretty simple. And it all depends on how well I’ve planned ahead.

If your life is anything like mine, having a slow day where you’re not running around like a chicken with its head cut off, is few and far between. That’s why it’s so important that I have a plan in place to keep me on track.

Depending on what’s on the agenda for the day, I usually start the day off making a list of everything I need to get done. And since I’ve started working out with a trainer, I also have to write in when I’ll eat and what I’ll eat. Since he has me eating 5-6 times a day, I have to be extremely diligent to make sure I’m getting in the protein and calories so that I’m staying on track with my meal plan.

On days when I’m home all day, it’s easy to walk to the refrigerator or pantry and grab a nutrient-rich snack between breakfast and lunch, and then lunch and dinner. But when I’m out chauffeuring the kids around or running errands, it’s not as easy. While I’d love to run through the fast food drive-thru, I know that’s not the kind of food my body needs.

Staying on Track the Simple Way

Staying on track the simple way. 3 easy ways to stay on track, even when you're busy.

So what does that mean?

It simply means to make those sometimes hard food decisions simple, by always planning ahead and giving yourself better options.

• Instead of stopping at the corner store and picking up a bottle of soda, carry a filled water bottle around with you at all times. I try to get in at least a gallon of water most days. If it’s a heavy workout day, I try to drink a little more. You can either keep track with a printable water intake tracker or for an even easier solution, simply keep a tally on your water bottle with a marker. Each morning wipe it clean with an alcohol pad.
  • Instead of grabbing for a bag of chips, keep a nutrient-rich snack in your purse or bag. When hunger strikes, sometimes it is really difficult to make a smart decision on what to eat. By having a smarter alternative handy, you’ll be more likely to make a decision that’s better for your body. I usually have a Zone Perfect Perfectly Simple bar or a bag of nuts handy. If I’m going to be out more than normal, I usually bring more than one bar just in case. The variety of flavors allows me to keep things fresh so that I don’t bore of the same flavors.
  • Instead of driving through the drive-thru, carry a canister of protein powder in your vehicle along with a shaker bottle. Since we workout at least 3-4 times per week and need to fill our bodies with protein within 15 minutes of working out, we keep a huge 5-pound canister of protein powder in our vehicle for right after workout. If I’m running errands and I get hungry, it’s better for me to have a protein drink than go through the drive-thru.

I think the most important thing about staying on track is that you need to have a plan in place. If I fail to plan ahead, it’s inevitable that I’ll make a bad decision that I’ll regret.

The unfortunate thing about this wellness journey is that it’s a constant battle of doing what my body needs over what my I want. I wish it was as simple as making a decision and sticking with it. But if you’re like me, you have to reprogram the way you look at food and fitness. I can’t remember where I saw this, but this is the saying I live by now, “I don’t live to eat, I eat to live.

Our bodies need the right foods and we need to stay active. Staying on track isn’t always easy, but it’s always worth it.

Zone Perfect Perfectly Simple bars are protein rich, gluten free, and have 200 calories or less. There are a variety of flavors including: Almond Toffee Crunch, Bing Cherry & Almond, Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk, Roasted Cashew & Dark Chocolate, plus seasonal flavors including: Pumpkin Chai and Peppermint Bark. I’ve tried many protein bars and these are high on my list of favorites. I still get flavors I love (like chocolate), but I don’t have all the guilt that comes along with eating a chocolate bar.

Print this coupon and making staying on track just a little bit cheaper!

How do you stay on track when you’re busy?

28 thoughts on “Staying on Track the Simple Way”

1. Tonya says:

You’re right, planning ahead is so important and for me it is definitely the difference between success and failure. I really need to make some drastic measures and take steps to being healthier.

2. Heather lawrence says:

Three months in and going strong! Good on you girl! I totally agree with making sure you have a plan. To many times I find that we are at the drive thru only because we didn’t eat before we went out and now we are starved and angry. Not a good sign. Now I just have to figure out my workout schedule and everything will be golden ?

3. LydiaF says:

I definitely need to plan ahead in order to meet any goals I set. As long as I continue to plan I’m ok, but if I get side tracked it’s like fighting through mud to be back on target!

These are great tips! It’s the simple things we can do that really helps us stay in shape. Not so much the big showy things.

These are great tips. I need to start throwing snacks in my bag. I am bad about grabbing junk when I am out and about.

6. Lindsey @ Redhead Baby Mama says:

Chicken-head-cut-off days are the norm for me! I’m excellent about having a stash of food to go to. Simply perfect zone coconut are my favorite.

7. Chrysa says:

These are some good, simply tips. I always try to keep a healthy snack in my purse and/or in my car. It works great in tight situations!

I’m liking these healthy ideas. I’d love to start bringing healthy snacks with me so I’m not forced to stop somewhere unhealthy.

Carrying a water bottle with you is a great idea. It would definitely help me stay on track with water and not soda.

10. Diana Elizabeth says:

I need to drink more water – I complain that it doesn’t taste like anything and so my problem is not craving it like I should. So, I add these flavored water drops to make it taste better. I also need to keep a protein bar in my bag to avoid being hangry ?

It’s definitely smart to have something on hand to stave off those cravings! I need a few of these bars!

12. Chasing Joy says:

It is hard to stay on track and I’m not that good at it. When I manage to have a good day it is because I have planned and done basically what you have said here. Have my water and healhty snacks at the ready.

It’s true. The planning ahead will save you from bad mistakes every time!

Planning makes ALL the difference for me. I am not so awesome at it, but I try ?

15. Michelle F. says:

Those are all such great ideas. I used to always carry a protein bar in my purse. Now I carry nuts and always have a bottle of water.

16. Brenda Brown says:

I always have water and a protein bar. I need to stay on track more though.

17. Robin (Masshole Mommy) says:

Those Perfectly Simple snacks look tasty. I find the best thing certainly is to plan ahead.

18. Katie says:

I really love Zone bars. I always carry my lunch to work with me so I don’t get tempted to go through the drive thru.

19. Carly says:

These are great tips! I need to carry a water bottle with me for SURE!

20. Nicole Escat says:

Such a great tips indeed. Starting today I’m going to put healthy snack on my bag just in case I feel hungry when I’m not in the house.

21. Toni | BoulderLocavore says:

These are all great tips and well-timed! Better start thinking of this now than waiting for January.

22. Donna says:

Staying on track can be difficult. These are some great ideas to make it easier! Thanks so much for sharing.

23. Rosey says:

That’s smart to carry the protein powder in the car. A good visual reminder too!

24. Joyce Brewer (@MommyTalkShow) says:

I have a horrible habit of NOT thinking ahead for snack time and meal time. So this post is right on time for me. I need to do better about keeping protein rich snacks handy!

I make sure to carry a bottle of water and some snacks in my bag. It is a good way for me to stay away from the drive thru.

26. Debra says:

I think water and drinking lots of it is the key to staying on track. It makes me feel full and I’m totally hydrated.

27. Tracey says:

These are great tips! You’re right, planning ahead is the most important thing to staying on track!

28. HilLesha says:

Wonderful tips! While I love to plan things, I’m also very spontaneous at times. I do agree that planning ahead is a surefire way to stay on track.