Homemade Hot Chocolate with Chocolate Chips

This Homemade Hot Chocolate with Chocolate Chips recipe brought to you by the wicked cold weather in Texas.

The weather in Texas right now is no joke, y’all. I cannot handle the rainy days, the below freezing temperatures at night, and the constant chill throughout my home. I’m honestly about ready to pack everything up and head back to the Dominican Republic. The Weather Channel App shows it’s a lovely 76 degrees there today.

I know those of us in the south have it easy compared to much of the northern part of the country, but goodness, I guess I’m just not made for cold weather, at all.

Made with the real deal, this Homemade Hot Chocolate with Chocolate Chips is the perfect, cold weather, snuggling on the couch kind of day!

As I was sitting in my office, with a heater at my feet, I’d had enough and decided I needed a hot beverage. I’ve been “trying” to cut back on my caffeine intake so thought that hot chocolate would be a better alternative…only I couldn’t find any of those premade packages in the pantry. So, homemade hot chocolate it was. And what’s better than homemade hot chocolate? Homemade Hot Chocolate with Chocolate Chips!

Homemade Hot Chocolate with Chocolate Chips

Homemade Hot Chocolate with Chocolate Chips
Cook time
Total time
Made with the real deal, this Homemade Hot Chocolate with chocolate chips is a perfect cold weather, snuggling on the couch kind of day.
Author:
Recipe type: Drinks
Serves: 2
Ingredients
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup half-and-half
  • 1/2 cup Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
  • 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
Optional
  • mini marshmallows
  • sugar
Instructions
  1. Over medium-low heat, combine milk and half-and-half in a saucepan until heated. Stir in chocolate chips and continue stirring until melted. Sprinkle in the ground cinnamon; stir.
  2. If you like a sweeter homemade hot chocolate, add in sugar in 1/2 tsp increments until you reach the desired sweetness. Top with mini marshmallows.

Seriously, delicious! And I’m betting you probably have everything you need right now in your pantry and refrigerator. Such an easy recipe for a decadent, cold weather drink! Or treat, whatever you want to call it {wink}!

This Homemade Hot Chocolate with Chocolate Chips recipe only makes enough for two, but no worries, it can easily be doubled, tripled, etc. if need be. Since I can’t be trusted around homemade hot chocolate, I only made enough for two servings. Because with this cold weather, I definitely deserved two servings.

If you don’t happen to have the mini chocolate chips on hand, the regular-sized chocolate chips work too. I just think the mini melt quicker since they’re smaller.

So there it is, y’all! A simple Homemade Hot Chocolate with Chocolate Chips recipe. Enjoy!

Latest posts by Crystal (see all)

24 thoughts on “Homemade Hot Chocolate with Chocolate Chips”

1. Robin Masshole mommy says:

That sounds so decadent. There is nothing like coming into a warm cup of hot chocolate after you come in from shoveling snow ?

That sounds so delicious! I’ve never tried my hand at hot chocolate before, but I think that needs to change!

Thanks for the recipe, I can’t wait to make it. Homemade hot chocolate is always the best.

4. Cascia Talbert says:

That looks so good. I think my husband has made hot chocolate with chocolate chips before. Here in Chicago we are getting some really close temps, highs around 10 degrees. Hot chocolate sounds pretty good right now.

5. Patty says:

You guys got some blizzard going on down there don’t you? We’ve had snow on the ground up here in Montana since long before Christmas. I love hot chocolate

Ah–hot chocolate-just what the doctor wished I would not drink (I’m diabetic)–I have never made my own but it sounds really simple. I wonder if I can find sugar free chocolate chips-if I do I will be making this one of these freezing cold, snowy days!!

Oh cool! I didn’t know you could use chocolate chips like that. This is an awesome idea.

8. Toni says:

I love this! What a rich cup of cocoa this would make. I’m definitely going to try it. Our weather has been so cold forever it seems too.

9. Michelle F says:

I love homemade hot cocoa. I love that you used chocolate chips for the chocolate.

10. Sara P. (@SensiblySara) says:

Cold weather in Texas?! We must be in different parts of the state!! It’s not too cold here but that hot chocolate looks scrumptious! I’ll be making it soon – cold weather or not.

We’re having a burst of cold down here too, so I’m thinking this would really hit the spot this week. It sounds so good!

12. Chasing Joy says:

This is such a simple recipe for hot chocolate. I love it.

13. Melissa says:

I’ve never made homemade hot chocolate before but now I have to try that this weekend! Looks so good!

14. [email protected] says:

This looks and sounds delicious! The instant/packaged stuff doesn’t hold a candle to homemade hot chocolate! Thanks for sharing the great recipe!

15. Alison says:

Okay why have I never even considered this? It sounds absolutely delish!! May be something we try this weekend – It’ll be perfect since we’re supposed to have snow pretty much every day this week.

16. Nicole Escat says:

I love marshmallows on the top, it looks yummy and tasty.

17. Brandy says:

This looks super delicious! I will have to try to make it, the extra chocolate? Perfect for my teen!

18. Joyce Brewer (@MommyTalkShow) says:

As I sit by my chilling window in Atlanta, I really wish I had that hot chocolate. Looks delish!

19. Shell says:

It’s cold here in NC, too. I was craving some hot chocolate- this sounds like it will hit the spot!

20. Alicia says:

It’s cold here in PA, so hot chocolate is a must! We have snow, but I always love a good hot chocolate and this looks amazing. I will give it a try soon.

21. Tracy @ Ascending Butterfly says:

I don’t drink coffee or tea, hot chocolate is actually the only ‘hot’ beverage I enjoy! Thanks for the recipe! ?

22. Nicole says:

That sound so great and easy. I am probably going to make that for my 21 month old and 4 year old. It is in the negetive temps here in Wisconsin.

23. Dawn @Oh Sweet Mercy says:

My kiddos love homemade hot chocolate. I’ve never made it with chocolate chips before, I know they’ll love it! It gets really cold up here in N Indiana so hot chocolate is a favorite.

24. Carol Ashbaugh says:

For Michele – I’m diabetic, too. You can make your own hot chocolate by using unsweetened cocoa or use unsweetened baking chocolate (the bars, i.e. Hershey’s, Baker’s, Nestlé’s, etc.). You can find recipes all over the internet. Sweeten to taste by using the artificial sweetener of your choice instead of the sugar called for in the recipe. I use Splenda. Try it – you’ll like it. There’s no need to deny yourself!