Workout Essentials with the Sniffles & Sneezes

This is a compensated post with Vicks. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.

It has been about four months since my family signed up for a CrossFit-like program at our local gym. What we didn’t realize when signing up was that we would come to love the time we spend at the gym. It’s not always easy, and some days we just want to throw in the towel, but the progress we’re seeing is rewarding and incredibly satisfying.

The winter months are the worst for the sniffles and sneezes. But since we don't have time for sick days, here are workout essentials with the sniffles & sneezes.

My kids and me on the bikes! Photo Credit: Lift Strong Run Fast

The gym we go to isn’t like most gyms. There isn’t a bunch of workout equipment and fancy stuff. It’s a warehouse building that the owner has converted into a gym. There are fans, but no air-conditioners. In the winter, you layer up.

We run on the roads near the gym. We use a dirt hill covered with grass for sprints, and lunges and whatever other brutality he wants to instill on us that day. We use the concrete outside the gym for pulling sleds.

It’s pretty basic and stripped down, but I think that’s what I like most. I don’t want fancy equipment that I can’t figure out. I just want to be able to go to the gym, get in a good workout, and leave feeling like I’ve done something good for my body.

When we go to a “weight loss” class, the photo above is a typical workout. Just looking at it might not seem difficult, but I’m telling you, it’s difficult. It’s an hour of constant movement and pushing yourself past the limits you think your body can handle. The whole hour I’m chanting, “I can do this. I can do this.” And then by the time we get to the bottom of the workout, I realize it’s been an hour and I totally did it.

Since I’ve started this journey, nothing has kept me away from the workouts, not even a cold. Regardless of how I’m feeling, I know my body needs exercise! And that’s why I use Vicks DayQuil SEVERE to help me power through, even when I don’t necessarily feel like it.

When I know I still have to make my way to the gym, here are some of my workout essentials for the sniffles & sneezes!

Workout Essentials with the Sniffles & Sneezes

Water: You’re body needs water! Have your water bottle handy and drink up.

Headphones: You always need headphones when you’re working out. Running is boring without your favorite jams!

Music: What good are headphones if you don’t have any music? I always bring my iPhone, but bring whatever device you have handy.

Medicine: Lets face it. Working out is hard. But working out when you’re sick is a form of evil all of its own. Keep Vicks DayQuil SEVERE (or NyQuil SEVERE) handy to medicate at the first sign of a sniffle or sneeze.

Gloves: Depending on the workout, I may choose to wear gloves. The warmer I keep my body, the better I feel.

Lip Balm: Running in the cold is horrible, even when I’m not feeling under the weather. Making sure my lips are protected from the elements will help keep those chapped lips away.

The winter months are hard for me anyway because I absolutely despise the cold weather, but with our improved health regime, there can be no sick days! My family counts on me to be the backbone and to keep things running like a well-oiled machine. And for that to happen, I have to be feeling as best as I can as quickly as I can.

My outlook on life is all about enjoying every moment and embracing the adventure each day brings, whether I’m feeling like a million bucks or not. I’m thankful for products like DayQuil SEVERE and NyQuil SEVERE that make it possible for me to be my best me, even when I’m feeling under the weather.

I was just telling my husband the other day that I needed a slow day. I feel like my life is always go, go, go and that it’s playing in fast-forward some days. I look at my kids and they’re grown. They’re not babies anymore. Each day I have with them needs to be spectacular. Even when we’re spending our evenings at the gym bonding over our hate of burpees. I don’t want the sniffles and sneezes to keep me from anything, even from working out with my favorite people!

Has a cold kept you from enjoying anything lately?

Get a special #NoSickDay Vicks coupon to save on your next purchase and check out the @DayQuilNyQuil Twitter page for more tips on how to stay healthy this winter.

26 thoughts on “Workout Essentials with the Sniffles & Sneezes”

Colds don’t generally keep me from doing anything I have to do–bronchitis–ditto–although at that point I should probably stay in bed and actually go to the doctor. I know that the Nyquils, Dayquils help a lot of my friends!!

I workout when I have colds. I like to sweat it out, not that it ever really works LOL.

3. Jeanette says:

I try and skip the gym when I am sick just so I don’t spread it . Also Just don’t feel good and just want to rest! LOL

4. Michelle F says:

That sounds like a great gym. I definitely have NyQuil on hand for when I get sick and still have to be a mommy.

5. Brett Beyer says:

When I have a cold, I used to shut right down. That is, until I became a full-time dad, and suddenly I didn’t have the option anymore. I didn’t think you COULD exorcise with a cold, but you have obviously proved me a wimp. ? Maybe I should man-up and just take some Dayquil.

6. Meagan says:

This is perfect for me as I sit here sniffling! Nyquil is a lifesaver when I’m sick!

Oh yeah, one of them nailed me over Christmas break. I was down and out for the count!

8. Nancy at Whispered Inspirations says:

Having a cold sucks! Glad to see you’re keeping active while having the sniffles!

9. Nicole Brady says:

I have fallen out of the fitness habit and I need to get back into it. But one thing I recall when I was dedicated is that I always felt better after going to the gym. When I had a cold and was stuffed up and miserable, a good workout always helped me feel better. Your tips for water, Dayquil, lip balm, etc are really great.

10. Kelly Hutchinson says:

I have just started going to the gym and I am loving it! I didn’t realize how much I missed taking that time for myself.

11. Jody Smith says:

It is so hard to push past it and work out when you feel ill but you feel so much better afterwards!

I have been lucky so far this winter to avoid catching a cold. I always make sure i have DayQuil on hand just in case one hits. I like to curl up and sleep as much as i can when i am sick so i never get much done.

13. Tammi Roy says:

I have missed work because of a cold before. Now i use DayQuil when i catch a cold and i can go on with my day. These are great gym essentials. I always keep a back up pair of earbuds.

14. gingermommyrants says:

I always feel better after a workout. Having a cold can really put a damper on my energy. I will have to get some DayQuil for my next cold.

15. Alison says:

I didn’t realize there was a Severe option! That’s something that I definitely need to put in my medicine cabinet.

16. Florentina says:

Tea and honey is my go to medicine, but if we get a severe cold DayQuil saves the day!

17. Clo Nevaeh says:

DayQuil is perfect! We use it all the time for the littlest colds. It works so fast.

18. jamie says:

One of the things I dread about the gym is all the sick people coughing and sneezing all over everything!

19. Amy Desrosiers says:

Thank you so much for sharing this! I had to cut my gym routine short yesterday because I had a cold. I need to bring water with me later to stay hydrated.

20. Victoria Sconion says:

I love dayquil and nyquil. They helped me get over my last head cold before it turned into a sinus infection. I love drinking hot lemon and honey water when I’m sick. It helps sooth my throat. My other favorite thing is putting honey and garlic in a jar and letting it soak for a few days then popping them into my mouth like candy. Helps with colds and other diseases. Kids are obsessed with it.

21. Dogvills says:

We shouldn’t allow the sniffles and sneezes to stop us from working out. These are great tips.

22. Working out when you aren’t feeling good is tough! Thanks for the tips to help make pushing through the sickies a little easier!

23. Nicole Escat says:

I remember the time that I used to go to the gym, yeah it’s really difficult in that picture, it seems that you are enjoying but in the other side, it’s difficult.

24. Valerie Remy-Milora says:

Your gym sounds like a fabulous place! I find that a good trainer makes all the difference in the world when it comes to staying motivated. I love that your trainer finds creative ways to make use of all the space around ? It’s the best way to realize that you really can workout anywhere!

25. Allison says:

I love a great spinning class! You are so right though, super important to get those workout in no matter what. Great tips!

26. Patty says:

I’m going to knock on wood here but I haven’t had a cold in years. Probably because I rarely see people. They are miserable though and you’ve put out a great list of tips for keeping strong through one.