Homemade Pedialyte Freezer Pops

Acorn Disclosure

As a mom, I don’t think there are many things in this world much worse than when one of your babies is sick. Whether it’s a runny nose, a tummy virus, or the flu, anytime my babies are sick it’s like a swift blow to the gut. The mommy guilt kicks in and I try to think of all the ways I could have prevented such illness.

When my babies are sick, my main priority is keeping them comfortable, then it’s working to make sure they get well as quickly as possible. The last thing I want is for them to be sick any longer than they have to be.

Pedialyte is a brand I’ve trusted over the years when my children need help combating dehydration due to sickness. I’ve gone through more liters than I care to acknowledge. But since it’s both pediatrician and pharmacist recommended and medically formulated with an optimal balance of sugar and sodium to prevent dehydration due to vomiting and diarrhea in children (and adults), it’s the brand I go to first. Bottom line is, it works — so I keep using it when we need it.

More times than not, we always have some Pedialyte leftover in the bottle. Since it’s no longer good 48 hours after opening, we’ve been freezing the leftovers and making Homemade Pedialyte Freezer Pops. It’s such a great way to save money from waste, but it’s also a great way to entice sick children to take it easily. I mean, who doesn’t love a freezer pop?

Homemade Pedialyte Freezer Pops

Homemade Pedialyte Freezer Pops
Author:
Serves: 12
Ingredients
  • 1 liter Pedialyte (flavor of your choice)
  • 12 Zipzicle ice pop pouches
  • funnel
Instructions
  1. Open all the Zipzicle ice pop pouches so that you don’t have to stop and open each one as you’re pouring the Pedialyte.
  2. Place a funnel in the top of the Zipzicle ice pop pouch. Either pouring from the bottle or with a measuring cup, carefully fill the ice pop pouch to the fill line.
  3. Remove funnel and close the top of the ice pop pouch tightly. Repeat with remaining Pedialyte.
  4. Place in freezer and lay flat. Allow to freeze completely before consuming.
Notes
If you have a full bottle of Pedialyte, it should yield 12 Homemade Pedialyte Freezer Pops.

Make these Homemade Pedialyte Freezer Pops for an easy way to freeze the leftover Pedialyte you have in the container.With a full bottle of Pedialyte, you should be able to get 12 Homemade Pedialyte Freezer Pops. If you don’t have a full bottle of Pedialyte, your yield will be less. Like I mentioned, it’s a perfect way to store the remaining Pedialyte so that it doesn’t go to waste.

I’m not sure there’s a kid around who doesn’t love a freezer pop. And what’s even better, these Homemade Pedialyte Freezer Pops are a perfect way to help your child combat dehydration when they’re sick. Hydration helps our body work correctly, but when we’re sick, it’s easy to lose vital fluids. Using Pedialyte helps restore the body’s potassium, sodium and chloride minerals, also known as electrolytes. And since Pedialyte comes in many flavors and in different forms, it’s great for both children and adults.

While you’re out shopping for all your household needs at Walmart, make sure you visit the baby department and pick up a couple liters of Pedialyte. It’s super easy to find in the formula aisle. You can’t miss it.

What’s your best tip for keeping your children comfortable while they’re sick?

29 thoughts on “Homemade Pedialyte Freezer Pops”

That is a great idea. My kids hate drinking it, but this is a n awesome way to get them to like it a bit more.

2. valmg @ Mom Knows It All says:

What a great idea! I never thought of making something like this on my own. It’s surely more affordable than the premade freezer pops and you don’t have to take up room in the freezer all the time when you don’t need it.

I dehydrate quickly these days and since I now know (Thank you) that this is good for adults as well I am considering making some of those pops for myself!

4. Jennifer says:

That is pure genius! When kids are sick, they always want popsicles. This is a great way to get something other than sugar water into them.

I’m going on record right now that you’re the smartest mommy alive. This is a great way to get something good for the kids into them when they’re sick. ALL kids want freezer pops when they’re sick. It’s like a universal law or something.

6. Amber Edwards says:

Ok so this is just brilliant! My kids when sick never want to drink anything. But that is when Pedialyte is so important! A freezer pop though! They would totally eat that! Great way to keep them hydrated when they are sick!

7. Lindsey says:

I do this with our freezer pop mold I have. They come so in handy when our son is sick!

8. Shauna says:

Now this is a genius idea. I hate wasting and always seem to have left over Pedialyte after the kids get better. Plus, I am sure they will love the iced version to mix things up the next time they are sick. Such a great idea.

9. Scott says:

We never thought of freezing it! That would be so handy for when they were teething!

10. diane says:

I had the flu last week with a horrid fever and sore throat. I would have liked a few of these myself, to heck with the kids!

11. monica says:

My kiddos never have juice (and always want it!) so I imaged that they would love pedialyte when then had a horrid stomach virus. They wouldn’t touch it! I imagine that offering it as a pop would work. Thank you for the helpful idea!

Making homemade freezer pops is a great idea. I wish I had thought about freezing Pedialyte when my son was little.

My kids were sick all the time when they were little. I swore by pedialyte pops for a sore throat!

14. Tonia Sanders says:

Oooooh, I HAVE to get some of those Zipcycle bags. With two young kids and a baby on the way Pedialyte is used often around here. Frozen would be better received.

15. Aeryn Lynne says:

OMG!!! I need these Zipcycle bags stat! I hope I can find them here somewhere. The eldest just got over a flu that lasted over a week, and looks like the younger one is about to have the same fun. The eldest loved cold things, like pads and ice cubes, so this would have been a huge help for us, especially when he could barely keep anything down. Thanks for the heads up!

16. Kaz says:

This looks so good – I haven’t seen anything like it in the UK. Making freezer pops is a great idea. Kaz

17. William Sweeney says:

Love this idea!! I know there are times when my kids wouldn’t drink Pedialyte but I have a feeling they would do a freezer pop!

These sound perfect for the kids. This is such a good idea. I love that you can make a bunch with one bottle.

19. Sarah H says:

Great idea! It’s been eons since I’ve given my daughter Pedialyte but you bet if I have to buy some, I’m doing this.

20. Brandy says:

This is a real money saver if I think about it, thanks for the idea!

21. Crystal says:

What a great idea! I have never seen those bags before! I try not to buy a lot of freezer pops because they are so full of sugar. These would be great to make our own freezer pops at home. The idea to use leftover Pedialyte is great!

This is a fantastic idea for kids. When my kids were younger and not feeling well i could always get them to try a freezer pop. I will have to share this with my friends with little ones.

23. Rosey says:

I like the idea of having Pedialyte in a freezer pop. That’s great for sore throats.

24. nicole says:

Wow! this is really a super cool idea. I love this, and I think this is great for teens too. I have a 17 year old and when they don’t feel well they will try anything to feel better. ?

25. Amy Gimon says:

I love this idea!! Do any of the stores sale these baggies??

26. Crystal says:

I’m not sure if any brick and mortar stores sell them, but Amazon does. I’ve linked to the bags in the post.

27. Latoicha says:

This is a great idea to preserve the pedialite for future use. My kids would have loved these.

28. Linda Frank says:

Why isn’t freezing Pedialyte not recommended by their company? Especially when they sell the frozen pops?

29. Crystal says:

Hi Linda, I’m not sure why. I would try reaching out to customer service to see if they can help you.