Let's Go See | The Importance of Yearly Eye Exams

I’ll admit, my children have never had their vision checked outside of their yearly well-child visits at their pediatrician’s office. You know the one where they stand behind the line on the floor, cover one eye, read from the eye chart, and then do it all over again with the other eye.

So far, everything has always checked out fine. They read all the random letters and the doctor checks off that their eyesight is just fine.

And so far, that has worked for me.

But I think I’ve been doing it wrong by my children their whole lives. My thought process was that if the pediatrician thought something might be wrong with their vision, then I would schedule an appointment with the optometrist. But I wouldn’t take my children to the optometrist if I thought they might be sick, so I really shouldn’t depend on their pediatrician to make sure their vision is fine.

Let's Go See, a national movement to raise awareness of the importance of annual eye exams for children as part of their yearly health routine, just like their yearly well-child visits.

That’s why I made a pledge to get their vision checked every year before school starts. I want to make sure they start out each year with everything they need to ensure they have the best year possible.

Let’s Go See

Let’s Go See is a national movement to raise awareness of the importance of annual eye exams for children as part of their yearly health routine, just like their yearly well-child visits. Visionworks and Davis Vision are giving away 10,000 comprehensive eye exams and complete pairs of glasses to children in need. The goal is single-focused: to get children their annual eye exams. If you know of a child between the ages of 5 – 18 with no means to afford a comprehensive eye exam, you can nominate them!

What my children have received each year at their well-child visit is considered a vision screening and is not a diagnostic process nor does it replace a comprehensive examination by an eye doctor. Screenings are good and have a purpose, but they do not test for eye function or mobility and will miss 60% of undiagnosed vision conditions. While your child may pass a vision screening, they may still need glasses. An annual eye exam performed by a optometrist or ophthalmologist is the only way to thoroughly evaluate eye function and eye health. These eye exams are non-invasive and take about 30 minutes. Children should have their first comprehensive eye examination between ages of 3 and 6.

lets-go-see-image

As a parent, I want to be sure that I’m equipping my children with everything that they need in order to be successful. Take the pledge with me and make sure your children get their annual eye exams. It’s the easiest exam they’ll probably ever take; there’s no studying involved.

Get Social

Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest

26 thoughts on “Let's Go See | The Importance of Yearly Eye Exams”

We are all glasses wearers in our house, so we get yearly eye checkups. Plus here, our schools do an eye check, too.

2. Dawn Lopez says:

That is a very good point about the difference between the eye exam with the pediatrician vs the optometrist. I’d never thought about it before either!

3. Melissa Lawler says:

I just renewed my prescription. Got 2 new pairs of glasses. I need to get a pair of readers and then it’s time to get my daughter in!

4. Jeanette says:

I am blind as a bat without my glasses, so I go every year. I need to take my kiddo in and see if he needs glasses.

5. Brett Beyer says:

I don’t know why getting our eyes checked always ends up last on our list. I can tell how important it is to you and your kids, so maybe I should just grow up and make the appointment. Grumblegrumblegrumble.

Yearly eye exams are a must. You may not need glasses now, and you may not have any eye issues at the moment, but things change!

7. Roxanne Morrison says:

Looking back, it breaks my heart to remember all of the young people who struggled with vision issues that some good programs could have helped avoid.

8. Nancy at Whispered Inspirations says:

Eye health is so important. Could you imagine losing sight? I think it doesn’t get enough attention. We go every year.

9. Amy Desrosiers says:

Do you believe it took me 31 years to get an eye exam. Thank goodness my eyes were ok and healthy!!

10. Shauna says:

What a great reminder. I know that I went years before I finally got glasses and it made such a difference in my school work once I could see better ? LOL

11. Becca Wilson says:

My children have their eyes checked just by what they do at the pediatrician. I really do need to get my oldest to be checked though by the ACTUAL eye doctor. He is eight years old and I remember when I was in 4th grade was when I started needing glasses to see the board in the classroom.

This really is important. We had our eyes examined a few months ago. My prescription even changed a little!

13. Kathy says:

I think getting an eye exam is extremely important. I waited to long at one point, and when I did go in it turned out that I needed glasses. I always go every year now and will never skip out again.

We get our eyes examined every year. It is so important to make sure you take care of your eyes. They are the only ones you have.

That’s exactly it. Vision is something we take for granted, but it needs to be watched over.

16. Danielle Harper says:

I’ve never looked at it this way. My hubby has perfect vision and I can’t see anything without my glasses. I definitely need to schedule eye exams for my kids.

17. Carrie says:

I also get my eyes examined at least once a year sometimes twice a year. My family has a history of glaucoma. Our kids are still really young so they get tested at the health nurse right now.

18. Saidah Washington says:

I just got a postcard reminding me of the children’s annual checkups. They love being able to choose new glasses

19. Annemarie LeBlanc says:

My vision started to go bad when after I developed diabetes. My two older children have 20/20 vision, while my youngest child has to wear glasses to correct his vision. I make sure my children get an annual eye exam and dental check up before they go back to school.

20. Tiffany VanSickle says:

I had to get glasses in Kindergarten (yay for Lasik!), so when my husband started getting concerned about our oldest’s eyesight, it wasn’t a second thought for me to get him to an eye doctor. He did need glasses (three years ago at age 5) and now has contacts! He’s a really responsible, smart kid so they let him try it out since he played baseball and rides a dirt bike. Muuuch easier to wear goggles without glasses. ?

21. Ave says:

We have our daughter’s first vision check scheduled for the next month. I really like your idea to have kids eyes checked just before the school starts. Let’s Go See sounds like a really great project, I think we have something similar here in Spain too!

22. SHELLEY R ZUREK says:

my momdidn’t take us for regular eye exams. In the 5th grade my eyes had gotten so bad I couldn’t see the board. They caught it in my school exam and then we finally addressed the problem.

23. CourtneyLynne says:

I have been wearing glasses my whole life so I always make sure my daughter and I have yearly checkups!!!

24. Adelina Priddis says:

I took my kids last year, because they “failed” the school’s eye exam. Turns out they were both just fine and only wanted glasses. sigh.lol. But bad eye sight runs in my family (not me), and my husbands eyes aren’t great, so it is something we keep an eye on.

25. Chelley @ A is for Adelaide says:

My husband and I have terrible vision, so we are sure to care for our eyes and the kids, too! SO important for so many reasons, to get yearly exams!

26. Catherine says:

IMO, it’s very important to have yearly eye exams. Besides checking for a piece of mind, you should take care your eyes properly, well they are the only ones you have.