Healthier Frozen Lunches for Your Busy Lifestyle
I’m proud to partner with CVS Pharmacy on this post for the CVS healthy foods line. All opinions expressed are my own, and all product claims or program details shared should be verified at CVS.com or with the appropriate manufacturers.
For the most part, we eat a fairly healthy diet. We try to keep processed foods at a minimum and rely heavily on fresh products from our local grocer. However, life happens and there are times when I simply don’t have the time (or energy) to create a fresh, homemade lunch. Between homeschooling and working from home, my time is extremely limited and sometimes I have to rely on frozen convenience foods. Thankfully there are a variety of healthier frozen lunches available when I’m in a pinch.
The days of boring, totally bad for you, frozen lunches are gone. With brands like Evol, Red’s, and Amy’s, we don’t have to feel so guilty about grabbing a frozen lunch anymore.
Healthier Frozen Lunches
For the fresh-foods crowd, just the simple mention of a frozen meal might make their heads spin. Over the years convenience foods have earned a bad rap because, well, most of them aren’t very nutritious. But in recent years, things have changed. Brands have heard consumers and created products that are easier for consumers to prepare all while being easy on the waistline.
Don’t roll your eyes just yet. I’m not saying we should all rely on frozen meals alone. That’s absolutely not the best idea. But I do know that having healthier frozen lunches to choose from is better than sitting at my desk eating a bag of chips and drinking a soda.
When stocking my freezer with healthier frozen lunches, I look for options that fit these guidelines:
- Easy to read ingredients: I like options with less ingredients, especially ingredients I can read and understand.
- 400 calories or less: I usually try to stick around 400 calories for lunch. There are plenty of choices under that calorie threshold so you should have a pretty big variety to choose from.
- Packed with Protein: Aim for a meal that provides at least 15 grams of protein and shy away from meals that are strictly carbs.
Even with these pretty stringent guidelines, you can still find options available in the freezer section at your local CVS Pharmacy. I’m loving the changes I’m seeing in stores where healthier items are prominently displayed on store shelves and in the freezer cases. It makes finding the healthier options easier which in turns means I’m more likely to choose those healthier options!
With a quick trip to my local CVS Pharmacy, I was able to pick up seven healthier frozen lunches for just under $25. Here are some of the healthier frozen lunch options I was able to find.
- Evol Fire Grilled Steak
- Lean Cuisine Sesame Chicken
- Red’s Chicken & Cheese Burrito
- Evol Truffle Parmesan Mac and Cheese
- Amy’s Cheddar Cheese Burrito
- Lean Cuisine Vermont White Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- Lean Cuisine Chicken Parmesan
When comparing ingredients and nutritional facts, keep in mind that you aren’t going to find the perfect lunch, but with these healthier frozen lunches you can feel much less guilty about grabbing a frozen meal. Pair it with a fresh fruit and/or a light salad and you’ve got a meal that’s healthier than many of the traditional “frozen meals” in the freezer section.
Do you have a favorite frozen lunch? Visit your local CVS Pharmacy to see the healthier frozen lunches available now!
Want healthier food ideas? Try these better for you on-the-go snacks!
- Previous Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs with Pickles and Red Onion
- Next Dove Self Esteem Project | Change the Conversation